Israel and Palestine have been on the brink of open war for much of the past year, and relationships between the two countries have been strained for decades. On November 18, yet another incident was reported in Israel, this time the deaths of four Jewish men in a Synagogue in West Jerusalem. Two Palestinians reportedly stormed the synagogue on Tuesday morning, armed with guns, knives, and axes. After killing four men during their morning prayers, the Palestinians were engaged in a gun battle with police.
Both Palestinians were killed, as well as one officer. A second officer was wounded. This attack is the most violent direct attack on civilians in Jerusalem since 2008. Unfortunately, this is only the latest in a long line of hostilities that show no sign of abating. The following are a few quotes that indicate the heated nature of the conflict:
- “Hit the “snooze” button on the Israel-Palestine situation enough times, and eventually the clock becomes a time-bomb.” ― Shira Tamir
- “A policy of peaceful coexistence between Israel and Palestine is the foundation of the tower, which will be built for the future; and visible from afar, the tower will be a non-violent symbol forever lasting peace.” ― Kristian Goldmund Aumann
- “And in this respect, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict has been a tragedy, a clash between one very powerful, very convincing, very painful claim over this land and another no less powerful, no less convincing claim.”— Amos Oz
- “Many of the Europeans who want Israel to go away don’t even know why they do. Nearly a third of those interviewed concede they have no idea what the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is all about. It’s enough to know that Israelis are Jews.” — Suzanne Fields
- “No matter what’s happening in the Middle East – the Arab Spring, et cetera, the economic challenges, high rates of unemployment – the emotional, critical issue is always the Israeli-Palestinian one.” — Abdallah II of Jordan
- “Unless and until something concrete is done about addressing the Israeli-Palestinian issue you won’t get a real start on the war against terrorism.” — Bob Hawke